Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Handmaid's Proposal




How do religion and its conspiracy’s of control fit into The Handmaid’s Tale? Have they really been trying to brainwash us forever, and do they control the world like some say they do? Is The Handmaid’s Tale a warning of things to come if humanity doesn’t get back on track?
Honestly I have more questions about this book than I have time to answer. When I first saw the cover of the book this story was the last thing that I had expected. I had never heard of it before, and was thoroughly intrigued once I started getting into it. The way that they stripped them of all of their freedom, and even took away their names was almost heart wrenching. It was also originally what made me think of religion and how some of the Muslim members change their names. It also made me think of the way that their women have to cover their entire bodies. The fact that they conformed to the new society in The Handmaid’s Tale so quickly really makes me question how much religion has changed people unwillingly without people noticing in our society. How are we controlled by what people think is the right way of doing things? Is this why it has taken so long for the women in our day and age to gain some power and equality?
These are a few of the many questions that I have about The Handmaid’s Tale, and even though I am not sure exactly how I will construct this paper or what the outcome will be; I can say that I am eager to dive in a little deeper and see if I can get the bottom of some of my questions and concern.

For more on religious control and spiritual abuse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment